What's new

Get your own 228 Hanging item

Queenblade

Lieutenant
Officer
https://mwomercs.com/store/tournament

While the Regional Champions have already earned their titles, you can still show your appreciation and support for the 15 Teams who made it into the Regional Finals! In addition to 7 Days of Active Premium Time, a brand new MWOWC 2016 Warhorn, and an MWOWC 2016 Standing Cockpit Item, each Regional Finalist Supporter Pack also comes with a Hanging Medallion Cockpit Item branded with the insignia for your chosen Team!

TheB33f

Sergeant
Black Watch
[img=600x450]http://socialmedia.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/where-s-the-money.jpg[/img]

TheB33f link said:
[img=600x450]http://socialmedia.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/where-s-the-money.jpg[/img]
:'(

My money went to MechCon, sorry PGI.

Thpoon

Sergeant
Wild Ones
Deadfire link said:
that fact it's off center drives me ape-shit
Yeah, reeeeaally wishing they provided some more details as to what shape its gonna be placed on. If it was a circular medallion kinda thing it wouldn't be a problem but oh well.

I thought the logos would be done with unique geometry.

So PGI is too cheap to give it out to the members that are part of that team?

I mean, I'm buying, just fracking surprised that it wasn't a thing.

Hairball359

Sergeant
Wild Ones
Do we  get an art work credit and paid because they are selling something with the logo that we produced but were not compensated for?

AceSelin

Corporal
Wild Ones
Reality Fix link said:

PGI has headed the many complaints / gripes re this issue and posted ...

Hey everyone,

Happy Friday evening (over here at least)! I have a wall of text for you with some information about the Regional Finalist Supporter Packs, along with some additional info regarding prizes from the MWOWC Tournament.

With the conclusion of the Regional Qualifiers and Regional Finals, we wanted to provide each of the Regional Finalists with the ability to acquire an in-game item, branded with their Team Emblem, to forever commemorate their participation in the Tournament. We additionally wanted to offer a way for the playerbase as a whole to both show their support for the participating Teams and boost the total Tournament Prize Pool for the World Championship Finals.
In that spirit, we created the Regional Finalist Supporter Packs.

Inheriting the previous structure used for our Tournament Supporter Pack, 50% of the proceeds from these Regional Finalist Supporter Packs were to be contributed toward the Tournament Prize Pool. While the proceeds were split, making these Regional Finalist Supporter Packs available for purchase by the playerbase was not a decision geared toward profit. Rather, the availability of these Regional Finalist Supporter Packs was, first and foremost, in the spirit of what the name of the program implies.

With the release of these Supporter Packs for purchase some concern has been expressed regarding the split proceeds and the potential profit acquired from the sale of items featuring these Team Emblems.
To help allay any such concerns, we are opting to instead contribute 100% of the proceeds from these Regional Finalist Supporter Packs toward the Tournament Prize Pool. This includes all proceeds from any existing sales of these Packs, along with the proceeds from any further sales.
The Regional Finalist Supporter Pack page will be updated as soon as possible to reflect this change.
This coming Monday we will also be providing all Regional Finalists with their Teams' associated Supporter Pack, and will refund any existing purchase of their Teams’ Supporter Pack if one is already present on their account.

We would also like to take this opportunity to reiterate to our amazing Regional Finalists, who dedicated so much of their time and effort toward making this Tournament possible, that the prizes outlined in the intro paragraph of the MWOWC Prize information page are still very much forthcoming. The Team Emblems recently provided to you as in-game Decals were not the entirety of your Prizes. We will be getting in touch with each of you later next week with further details regarding those Regional Finalist Prizes.

Additionally, for all Teams who actively participated in the Tournament, we have a special (and free) Cockpit Item coming for all of you to help commemorate your participation. We currently anticipate this Item to be included with the November patch.

One final note. In the approach to the conclusion of the Regional Qualifiers we requested Team Emblems from a total of 32 Teams, to help ensure any necessary content was ready to go in time for the October patch. When the October patch arrived the 15 Regional Finalists had been decided; however, all 32 of those Team Emblems were still packed in with the October patch. While the 15 Regional Finalist Teams have already received their in-game Decals, this leaves 17 Team Emblems all but completed, but still unused. Therefore, in the November patch we will be providing in-game Decals of those Team Emblems for each member of their associated MWOWC team.

Quick Summary of this Post

• 100% of the proceeds from the Regional Finalist Supports Packs will now be going toward the Tournament Prize Pool. This includes all proceeds from any existing sales of these Packs, along with proceeds from any further sales.
• Regional Finalists will be receiving their Teams' associated Supporter Pack next week. Refunds will be processed for any existing purchase of their Teams' Supporter Pack if one is already present on their account.
• The additional prizes for Regional Finalists, roughly outlined on the MWOWC Prize information page, are still coming. Details next week.
• All Teams who actively participated in the Tournament will receive a special (and free) Cockpit Item. Item is currently expected to be included with the November patch.
• The 17 Teams for whom Decals were made, but not released, will receive their associated Decals in the November patch.

Thpoon

Sergeant
Wild Ones
Reality Fix link said:

Hairball359 link said:
Do we  get an art work credit and paid because they are selling something with the logo that we produced but were not compensated for?
This is something that puts me in an awkward position and is the main reason for me being distant lately - I haven't done or said anything about it yet simply because I have no idea how to approach it due to all the implications - the 228th W1s logo heavily referenced from Grimmers SLDF (3rd one) logo done quite a while ago which in turn is a Cameron Star logo attributed to battletech IP and I did ask Grimmers to whom credit should be passed to, although Grimmers has said its fine to use as a resource for the unit - myself, Grimmers and others at the time were unaware that PGI would monetize it.

The original requests for the logos had nothing on monetizing it at all.

I do not have access to lawyers and I personally do not want to pursue any of this legally, but the predicament still makes me very uncomfortable.

If I had it my way I would have loved to create a brand out of it and the team could benefit from the sales of shirts/merch etc but this throws a spanner in the works and highlights some important problems to consider if we ever do get together and talk about that, ie; designing something that has no affiliation or could be construed as related to other IPs.

The only things I know about this is;

- We were told that our logo would be placed on things like twitch streams, banners at mech con, and cockpit items/decals in game.

- Exposure is not commensurate with fair compensation.

- The current packs do nothing to support teams and instead subsidize the tournament pool of teams still in the championship. The worse-off by it are the teams not currently in the finals. I personally don't recommend buying the packs because of this.

panicbutton

Major
Senior Officer
Regimental HQ
Yeah. We've discussed this as well, and the conclusion is as follows:
1. What PGI is doing is ethically wrong and is a practice which is viewed very negatively by the community and the general public as the IP they're using was created by another entity and that entity is effectively being stolen from at this point.
2. It would take more money, time, or effort than we currently are willing to put forward in order to fight to claim any part of the money afaik. The images belong to you and grimmers so it would, in the end, fall to ya'll to do anything about it since technically the 228th as a whole hasn't paid for your work either or put any thought into protecting it legally. To my knowledge it's a bit of money to get something trademarked or protected legally as well. So I'm not really sure what this falls under.

My current stance is that I'm glad they bothered to try and do something to put the logos for the teams in the game. However, I feel like the backlash from the community is warranted given the unprofessional manner in which it's been handled. I'm not going to pull our logos/tags/etc I don't think (I will at grimmer's behest). However, I'd rather buy a set of foam chairs and a tshirt for ya'll rather than your logo from PGI.

Yeah, I never really gave any thought to monetization or trademarks when I made those old graphics, they were just forum graphics, so them being put in that context now makes things a little complex. Even besides the possible argument that many are just derivative works of existing Battletech logos, there's also the issue of possible problems with the copyright of the fonts and graphics I used to make some of them too. Although I believe the font used in the star logo specifically is a 100% free font, our core 228th site logo that can be seen ^up there is a commercially-limited font that we'd have to license to be truly kosher (though even that has it's own complexities as it's a imitation of the Gears of War font, so who knows if he actually has the right to demand a license). Pretty much who owns what can get fuzzy quick with these sorts of things once money gets introduced and someone throws out the word 'steal'.

But all that aside, and even though the issue is probably a bit dead by now, whatever you guys do with em is alright by me. They're just some things deadfire and friends poked me into making at like 3AM, and I'm happy enough with them just being my little contribution to the collective. Very much just appreciate me being thought of over them.

(also, great sig Thpoon)

RjBass3

Lieutenant
Officer
Death from Above
Cool post Grimmers, now get back into the unit and stomp some big giant robots with us. 

[member=2]Grimmers[/member] I think that unit images need to get consolidated so that we can do our own monetizing if we so choose. If PGI commits to more tournaments with real prizes like cash, there might be a market for us to have this stuff prepared for sponsors. Heck, we could do this stuff ourselves